“Mr. N. Doan, moved to Doan’s corners in January, where he lived both beloved and respected until his decease in December, 1815. After his removal Major Cater’s was the only white family in Cleveland until April, 1800. In the spring of ’99 Wheeler W. Williams, of Norwich, Conn. and Major Wyatt commenced building a mill at the Falls, in Newburg. This being the first mill on the Reserve, its completion was celebrated by the pioneers with great joy and festivity. During the following winter our citizens enjoyed the luxury of bolted flour, made in their own mills, from wheat raised by themselves.
Seth Doan is the only denizen of the city at that time, who still (1842) resides in it. Only four out a population of fifteen survive. These are Sarah Doan, the widow of Nathaniel, Lucy Carter, widow of James Strong, Alonzo Carter, of Newburg, (still living 1866) and Seth Doan, the heroic boy.
The season of 1799 was very healthy. With the exception of Messrs. Williams and Wyatt, and two or three young men who came to Newburg, no settlers arrived this year. Turchand Kirtland, father of Prof. J.P. Kirtland, was made Agent for the Land Company and visited the Reserve.”