“Timothy Doan arrived at Cleveland in the spring, and in the fall removed to Euclid. He died in the fall of 1828, at the age of seventy. Samuel Hamilton and family settled at Newburg. About five years after he was drowned in Buffalo creek, on his return from a visit to the east. At Cleveland the people were unusually healthy. This year became notorious, on account of a Fourth of July celebration and ball. It was held in one end of Major Carter’s double log house, on the hill near the corner of Union and Superior lanes. John Wood, Ben Wood and R.H. Blinn were managers. Major Samuel Jones was chief musician and master of ceremonies.
About a dozen ladies and twenty gentlemen constituted the company. Notwithstanding the floors were of rough puncheons, and their best beverages was made of maple sugar, hot water and whisky, probably no celebration of American independence in this city was ever more joyous than this.
Elisha Norton opened a store in Carter’s house, under the hill, and David Bryant built a log distillery, on the ground afterwards occupied by Matthew Williamson as a tannery. [The distillery stood where M.B. Scott’s warehouse is now.]
Previous to this year, the people had no laws but those of God and their own consciences, yet they lived in great harmony. A bond of union existed in their common pleasures, as well as in their misfortunes. During the days of club law, very few disputes occurred, such was the universal good feeling that prevailed. Not a single case of Lynch law occurred from 1796 to the organization of the State government, and only one of “club law.” This happened between Major Carter and the Indians, and was caused by alcohol.
Both old Leatherstocking and the red men, were very good and generous friends in the absence of this demon.” (Judge Barr.)
The Rev. Joseph Badger, a soldier of the Revolution, came to the Reserve in 1800, as a missionary from the Connecticut Missionary Society. He was at Cleveland on the 18th of August, 1801, when he lodged at Lorenzo Carter’s. On the 6th of September, he says: “We swam our horses across the Cuyahoga by means of a canoe, and took an Indian path up the lake; came to Rocky River, the banks of which were very high, on the west side almost perpendicular. While cutting the brush to open a way for our horses, we were saluted by the song of a large yellow rattlesnake, which we removed out of our way.”
Spafford’s re-survey of the streets and lanes of city took place in November. He planted fifty-four posts of oak, about one foot square, at the principal corners, which he charged fifty cents each, and fifty cents, for grubbing out a tree at the north-east corner of the Square.
Samuel Huntington, who was an attorney, removed with his family to Youngstown early in the summer of 1801. He soon determined to establish himself at Cleveland, and contracted with Amos Spafford to superintend the erection of a well built block house, of considerable pretensions near the bluff south of Superior street, in rear of the site of the American House. Huntington was then about thirty-five years of age. He was the protégé and adopted heir of his uncle and name-sake, Governor Samuel Huntington, of Connecticut. His education was very complete for those times. It would appear from his correspondence with Frenchmen, his knowledge of the French language, and the polish of his manners. that he had spent some time in France. His family consisted of his wife, Miss Margaret Cobb, a companion and governess; and two sons, Julius C. and Colbert, who still survive. Huntington belonged to the more moderate republicans, and does not appear to have lost the confidence of the Federalists. Governor St. Clair soon appointed him Lieutenant Colonel of the Trumbull county regiment, and in January, 1802, one of the Justices of the Quorum. The only time when the Governor is known to have visited the Reserve, was at the trial of McMahon, at Youngstown, charged with the murder of an Indian named Spotted George, at the Salt Springs. Mr. Huntington acted as counsel in the case, but on which side, I am not informed.
The extreme Jeffersonian Republicans, like John S. Edwards and Judge Tod, looked favorably upon Huntington, who was ambitious and popular; and who entered at once upon the career of a public man. He took by common consent, priority on the bench of Quarter Sessions. In November, 1802, he was elected a delegate to the convention to form a State constitution, which appears to have been well received by St. Clair. After its adoption, he was elected Senator from Trumbull county, and on the meeting of the first Legislature at Chillicothe, was made Speaker. On the 2d of April, 1803, he was appointed a Judge of the Supreme Court, his commission, which was signed by Governor Tiffin, being the first issued under the authority of the State of Ohio. A character so prominent and successful, no doubt, had a favorable influence upon the place of his residence, which, in 1801, was nearly depopulated. In person he was small, but exceedingly active. His manners were affable, though somewhat after the French style, in business his habits were correct and efficient.